We bridge communities and cultural change-makers across wider Europe. Connecting Culture, Communities and Democracy is the over-arching thematic focus we support, research and advocate for.
Programmes and Grants:
- CONNECTED ACTION FOR THE COMMONS ― We work with Culture 2 Commons, Les Têtes de l’Art, Oberliht, Platoniq, Krytyka Polityczna and Subtopia to support participatory processes which contribute to more open and democratic societies in our Connected Action for the Commons network.
- IDEA CAMP ― Annually we launch an open call for cultural change-makers to attend an Idea Camp where they address innovative ideas on European issues. Attendees are eligible for R&D grants to further their ideas.
- GRANTS ― Our grants support artistic and cultural expression across wider Europe.
STEP travel grants (STEP stands for ‘Supporting Travel for Engaged Partnerships’) support creative and critical cultural workers travelling across Europe and its neighbours, to help foster a society with greater solidarity, equality and a stronger sense of social justice. The programme is initiated and managed by ECF with the support of Compagnia di San Paolo.
- ADVOCACY ― We connect civil society with policy, allowing them to influence policy debate at all levels, from local to European and neighbouring countries.
- R&D ― Research & Development at ECF engages a variety of stakeholders and research partners in reflection, action research and pilot projects reinforcing our theme Connecting Culture, Communities and Democracy.
- EVENTS ― Together with our partners, we co-host events in the Netherlands, Brussels and across wider Europe. Every year, we organise the prestigious ECF Princess Margriet Award for Culture and the Idea Camp.
- AWARDS ― The ECF Princess Margriet Award for Culture is an annual award given to cultural change-makers whose work highlights the importance of culture for an inclusive Europe. From 2004 to 2013, we also supported the Cultural Policy Research Award, which enabled a young generation of researchers to take a step from evaluative (descriptive) to comparative applied research that can inform policy-making and benefit practitioners active in the field.
- TANDEM ― Our Tandem cultural exchange programme is a result of the European Neighbourhood programme and supports cultural change-makers across wider Europe.
- DOC NEXT NETWORK ― Doc Next Network is a partnership with four cultural organisations working with young media-makers across Europe. A project of the network is Remapping Europe – a Remix Project highlighting the migrant’s perspective. In 2016, we have launched Displaced in Media, a project to support the participation of young refugees in the public sphere through the media. Together with our hubs – Fanzingo, Kurziv, Les Têtes de l’Art, MODE Istanbul, BFI Future Film, ZEMOS98, Creative Initiatives “ę” and We Are Here – we met in Warsaw in early November 2016 to start building a community of practice in Europe. More information will follow soon. This initiative is supported by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Commission.
- LIBRARY ― Meet the people we work with and browse through our online Library to access a rich selection of content including books, project archives, reports, essays, comics, audio recordings and videos.
- ONLINE COMMUNITY ― Join ECF labs, our online community focusing on arts and culture, where you can share views, projects, news and create your own labs focusing on topics you care about.
- PARTNERSHIPS ― We greatly value our partnerships and build connections with other foundations, organisations, businesses and the media, as well as connecting with interested individuals.
- GET IN TOUCH ― For more information about our work, to partner with us or to support us, don't hesitate to get in touch with our team and connect with us through our social media channels.