ECF's Research and Development (R&D) work aims at bringing evidence for culture’s intrinsic value as a key contributor to human and societal development, as well as a powerful factor for re-invigorating democratic processes in Europe and beyond. We look into alternative democratic practices, new forms of civic engagement, urban commons, as well as the position of Europe in the world through culture. The results and findings of our reflection, research and R&D grants fuel all ECF activities and connect to the relevant policy levels.
Reflection, think-tanking exercises, foresight studies
We explore and critically reflect on topical cultural issues of contemporary Europe, trying to anticipate their future impact on the European socio-political landscape. We do that through:
- ECF Reflection groups
- Supporting civil society based cultural policy task forces in the Arab Mediterranean.
- Think tank related to ECF’s programmes such as the ECF Princess Margriet Award for Culture and the Connected Action for the Commons programme.
Projects and impact:
- Outcomes comprise of (among others) cultural policy reviews and the first cultural policy profiles of Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Lebanon, Tunisia and other on WorldCP global database of cultural policies, a follow up of our publication Cultural Policies in Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Syria and Tunisia.
- Build the city book.
We focus on topical issues to set and influence policy agendas (from the local to the European). We do this through:
- Producing new knowledge as evidence base for our advocacy work.
- Researching effective practices across our programmes and advocate for their recognition and support at policy level.
Projects & Impact
- Cultural and Creative Spillovers in Europe (2014-2016), a European research partnership with the European Centre for Creative Economy (ecce), ECBN, Arts Council of England, Arts Council of Ireland, Creative England, and other partners.
- Research and advocacy for informing a cultural strategy in European Union External Relations.
- Cultural Policy Research Award – CPRA (2004-2013), in partnership with Riksbankens Jubileumsfond and ENCATC, included an annual CPRAward (10 award winners & 9 publications), Young Researchers Forums, publications of the award-winning research projects as well as a vibrant online community and an online Researchers’ Lab.
Pilot projects and R&D grants
We tap into less explored research areas, we experiment and prototype ideas that reinforce our theme Connecting Culture, Communities and Democracy. We join research pilot projects and develop partnerships. We also provide R&D grants as part of ECF’s Connected Action for the Commons programme.
Projects & Impact
- Indicator Framework on Culture and Democracy (2015-2016), a partnership project with the Council of Europe.
- ECF is a partner of Joint Research Center (European Commission) in the Cultural and Creative City Index (forthcoming).
- ECF initiated pilot experts’ group “Towards a European Cultural Vitality Index” (2013-2014) with ERICArts (Bonn), JRC (Ispra), Boekman Foundation (Amsterdam).
- R&D Grants for developing ideas.
Monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment
We monitor, assess and evaluate ECF programmes and actions in order to learn more about our work and the work of our partners. We invest in strategic organisational and programme development.
Projects & Impact
Our R&D work currently focuses on:
- Reflection, think-taking exercises, foresight studies
- Policy evidence-making
- Pilot projects and R&D grants
- Monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment
On this page, you will find more details about the R&D activities we are currently involved in.