RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT (R&D)
We engage a variety of stakeholders and research partners in reflection, action research and pilot projects. We look into alternative democratic practices, new forms of civic engagement, urban commons, as well as the position of Europe in the world - through a cultural lens. The results and findings fuel all of our activities.
Reflection, think-tanks, foresight studies
We tap into less explored research areas, we experiment and prototype ideas, join research pilot projects and develop partnerships.
We produce new knowledge as evidence base for our advocacy work: Researching effective practices across our programmes and advocating for their recognition and support at policy level.
Monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment
We monitor, assess and evaluate our activities. We invest in strategic organisational and programme development. We also support local cultural initiatives through Research & Development grants.
A selection of our research & development projects
- ECF is a partner of Joint Research Center (European Commission) in the Cultural and Creative City Index.
- We support the cultural policy reviews and the first cultural policy profiles of Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Lebanon, Tunisia on WorldCP. WorldCP is a global database of cultural policies.
- Cultural and Creative Spillovers in Europe (2014-2017), a European research partnership with the European Centre for Creative Economy (ecce), ECBN, Arts Council of England, Arts Council of Ireland, Creative England, and other partners.
- Cultural Policy Research Award – CPRA (2004-2013), in partnership with Riksbankens Jubileumsfond and ENCATC, including an annual award (10 award winners & 9 publications), Young Researchers Forums, as well as a vibrant online community and an online Researchers’ Lab.
- Indicator Framework on Culture and Democracy (2015-2016), a partnership project with the Council of Europe.
- ECF initiated pilot experts’ group “Towards a European Cultural Vitality Index” (2013-2014) with ERICArts (Bonn), JRC (Ispra), Boekman Foundation (Amsterdam).